Friday, September 26, 2014

Hairy Disappointed

Today I decided to take a peek at the back of my head using a small compact mirror and the bathroom mirror. What I saw shocked me... reflecting back at me was a head sporting thick patches here and there with thin hair in between. Still with the 3rd eye Keith used to tease me about. I had been told that my hair was becoming thick and full in the back by several people.

Looking at the back of my head I wondered if they really could have been referring to me. I'm not going to lie. The thought did cross my mind that maybe they lied. But these were people I trusted... why would they lie?

Society has put so much pressure on people to look a certain way. Your clothes must be on trend. Shoes must be stylish. Make up and nails just so. And hair must be coiffed perfectly. What does that make in the end but an empty shell? Still it is nice to have all those ducks in a row. Who wouldn't want to be stylish and trendy in every way?

Still, I always have, and always will be, a firm believer in the saying, "what's inside counts more than the outside". The inside of a person is, and should be, weighed more heavily. Judged more closely. For that is where true inner beauty lies.

Even so, it's still difficult for me not to get caught up in the hype. I want to have hair! I want to be able to do all the trendy hair styles I see in magazines, TV, and stores I frequent. I want beautiful, flowing locks to use trendy new hair products on.

When I went through full brain radiation, I was told my hair may never grow back. I can at least acknowledge that I am blessed to have hair growing back, no matter how bad it may look.

I'm just waiting for the day when I have hair to be proud of again. Although, I'm doing it rather impatiently it seems. (Something me and God need to work on.) I need to remember that good things come to those who wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment